Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Performance Review

While doing my weekly vacuuming, I started thinking about a conversation that I had with one of my very dear friends right after she found out that she’d been laid off from her long-time part time job. She said “I figured, well… If I’m not going to have a job then I am going to darn well have the cleanest house and the cleanest kids around.” She spent the entire weekend scrubbing her house from top to bottom. She quickly realized that this was an impossible feat and really not worth the energy.

Of course, as I recall that conversation I begin to wonder: as a stay at home mom, is my success measured by how clean my house is? Is it measured by how well groomed my kids are? Or how smart they are? Or how many nights per week we eat a home-cooked meal and how many new recipes I can master?

For someone who has had some sort of job from the age of 14, it is a disconcerting position to be in. So many (probably too many) times in my life, i have let my job define me. Among other things; I was a Gap girl, a make-up artist or a PR executive. Each of these positions had a definite set of job expectations, goals and semi-specific work hours. I could measure my performance objectively against what was expected from my position.

Now as a stay at home mom, the job qualifications and work expectations are bit more cloudy…less defined, more subjective...actually, there are none. To my knowledge no one has come up with a defined set of job expectations for a stay-at-home mom. There is no employee handbook, no chart of performance check-points and productivity goals.

So, who does my performance review? My kids? No, although they may want to sometimes. My husband? Um, no. My friends? Eh, not really. So, that leaves me. I suppose I am my own supervisor. I do my own performance reviews…daily, hourly, sometimes minute by minute.

And, what kind of supervisor am I? Am I an empathetic, compassionate boss who understands that life doesn’t always go as planned and that outside circumstances affect work performance? Well…unfortunately no. I believe that I am actually the type of boss that we all dread: nit-picky, overly critical and micro-managing…stifling any spark of creativity and spontaneity. Now that’s a eye-opening realization. I think it’s time to go to the big boss for some support.

No comments:

Post a Comment